Friday 11 April 2014

Hot Cross Oatmeal Cookies

A twist on the classic Easter treat, hot cross buns - hot cross oatmeal cookies!


Easter is on its way and wanted to make something "Easter-y".  If you look through my Easter Pinterest board there are a few recipes I had been contemplating like Swedish semla, hot cross buns, chocolate crispy nests but as usual wanted to try something a little different...

I was also inspired to create this recipe because I'm meeting Nick Coffer from BBC Three Counties radio today - he's doing a series about local people in the towns around the three counties (Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire) and I have been invited to talk about this here little blog!  Considering all I post about is food related I could hardly go empty handed, could I?!  I did think about some of my favourite foods that I've posted about but they're not really portable but cookies were perfect!
I've adapted my favourite oatmeal cookie recipe but added the fruit and spices that give it that "hot cross" flavour, perfect for Easter but great for sharing!




Put the dry ingredients into your main mixing bowl.

Beat the sugar and egg together until creamy then add the butter.

Beat again gently until butter, sugar and egg mixture has combined.

Add the sugar/butter/egg mixture into the dry ingredients and vanilla slowly.  I used a my trusty Kitchenaid so it all came together pretty quickly but if done by hand make sure everything is well mixed.

Chill the dough for 1/2 or up to 24 hours.

Shape the dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches across and place on a baking paper lined baking sheet (saves on washing up!)





Total baking time is 20 minutes however halfway through flatten the dough balls and then continue to bake.




They will still seem a little soft when you take them out but when you cool them on a baking rack they crisp up on the edges but are still soft in the middle.


Make something different this Easter - hot cross oatmeal cookies!


By the way - I would have loved to have added icing sugar crosses to make them look more like hot cross buns but...no water.  Apparently someone's cut through the water pipes...if you did want to add crosses, mix up to 2 tablespoons of milk with 5 tablespoons of icing sugar - add the milk a little at a time so you get the perfect pipe-able consistency.


If Hot Cross Buns and oatmeal cookies had a baby for Easter this would be the result!  My original recipe for raisin, currant, candied fruit and spiced oatmeal cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...