Sunday 5 January 2014

Black Bean Burgers



It's a new year and a lot of people will be starting new diets, detoxing and getting into shape.  Not this girl though!  My resolution this year is to eat more!  When I say more I don't mean volume, I mean cooking new recipes, trying new foods and generally expanding my knowledge about all things edible!

My first new recipe is for a black bean burger - I'm not vegetarian but love the creativity needed to make delicious food without meat.  I have had veggie burgers before but only the sort that you buy in the supermarket which are tasty but wanted to see how easy I've been trying to make sure that the lunches I take to work are super healthy and thought that a home made bean burger would be perfect!
Start by finely dicing a small onion and garlic.  On a low heat soften the onion and garlic then allow to cool.

While the onion and garlic are cooling, drain and rinse the beans.  Mash the beans using a fork - you could use a food processor but don't blitz them too much, keep them chunky!





Stir in the onion, garlic, olive oil and dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.  Form into patties (damp hands can help stop the mixture from sticking to your hands), place the burgers on greaseproof paper and chill for about half an hour.




Wanting to keep these as healthy as possible I originally tried baking these.  Fail!  Because there's no fat in the burgers they totally dried out.  I'm talking hockey puck.  The best way to cook them is to heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook on a medium heat on both sides until browned and heated all the way through.


Simple, cheap and healthy chipotle spiced black bean burgers


Top with your favourite toppings - salsa or guacomale would be perfect, melt some cheese, add some salad and a slice of tomato or just enjoy plain!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...